It’s no secret that the world is in a state of turmoil. Every day, there’s another headline about some new act of violence or hatred. It can be easy to get overwhelmed by all the bad news and feel like there’s nothing we can do to make a difference.
But there is something we as individuals can do. We can always choose kindness.
It may not seem like much, but choosing to be kind to our fellow human beings and the world around us can make a big difference.
What Does It Mean To Always Choose Kindness?
To always choose kindness means that we choose to be kind instead of choosing anger, hatred, or violence.
It means that we make a conscious effort to put kindness into the world, no matter what the circumstances may be.
The dictionary defines kindness as “the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate.” When we choose to be kind, we act in ways that show compassion, concern, and thoughtfulness toward others. We show that we care about the well-being of others.
We often think of kindness as something that requires effort or time, but that is far from the truth.
Being kind can be as simple as holding the door open for someone, lending a listening ear, or letting someone go ahead of you in line. These small acts cost little in time or energy and can make a big difference.
Why Should You Always Choose Kindness?
Here are our 5 main reasons for always choosing kindness:
1. Kindness Makes Us Happier.
When we perform acts of kindness, it releases feel-good chemicals in our brains that make us happy.
Oxytocin, the “love hormone” or “cuddle hormone,” is one of these chemicals.
Oxytocin is released during social bonding, such as when we are kind to someone. This hormone reduces stress and makes us feel happier and more optimistic.
2. Kindness Is Good For Our Health.
Studies have shown that kindness can boost our immune system, lower blood pressure, and improve heart health.
When we’re kind, our body produces less of the stress hormone cortisol, which has been linked to various health problems, including anxiety, weight gain, and depression.
3. Kindness Is A Simple Way To Make A Difference.
Think about the last time someone showed you kindness. How did it make you feel? Pretty good, right? Something as simple as a compliment or a smile renewed your faith in humanity and made your day that much better.
That’s the incredible power of kindness.
Being kind doesn’t take much time or effort, but the benefits are profound. A small act of kindness can make someone’s day or even change their life.
4. Kindness Is Contagious.
When we act kindly, it inspires others to do the same. One act of kindness can start a ripple effect that spreads throughout our communities and the world.
5. Kindness Makes The World A Better Place.
The world could use more love, and kindness is a great way to bring more love into the world.
When we choose to be kind, we start a chain reaction of positivity and goodwill that can change the world. With kindness, our world becomes a more compassionate and understanding place that is better and happier for everyone.
What Can You Do Every Day To Always Choose Kindness?
There are many kind gestures and simple ways to show kindness in your everyday life.
Here are some suggestions:
Smile At People You Pass On The Street.
Smiling is one of the simplest yet most powerful things you can do. The simple act of smiling makes you feel good and is contagious, making the recipient smile and feel good too.
Give Compliments Freely.
Say something nice to someone, even if you don’t know them. Kind words as simple as “I like your sweater” or “That’s a great choice” can go a long way. Compliments show that we care about others and make them feel valued.
Be thankful for what you have and express your gratitude to others. When you recognize someone for their kindness, it makes them feel good and inspires them to continue being kind.
Saying “Thank You” is just one way to show appreciation for someone’s kindness. You can also write thank-you notes, send emails or texts expressing your gratitude, or spread goodwill by telling others about someone’s act of kindness.
Make An Effort To Listen When Someone Is Talking To You.
Listening with your full undivided attention shows that you respect and value the person speaking and are interested in what they have to say. It helps build rapport and understanding and can make that person feel heard and appreciated.
Pay It Forward.
Do something nice for someone without expecting anything in return. It could be as simple as buying coffee for the person behind you in line or helping someone carry their groceries.
When we give without expecting anything in return, we open up the possibility of endless kindness and goodwill.
Volunteer Your Time Or Donate To A Worthy Cause.
There are many ways to make a difference in your community. Donating time or money to a cause you care about is a great way to practice kindness.
Volunteering your time can be just as valuable as donating money. You can donate your time by helping at a local soup kitchen, mentoring someone, or doing something to help out a family member or a neighbor.
Practice Kindness Randomly.
One of the best things about choosing kindness is that it doesn’t have to be planned. Random acts of kindness occur in the spur of the moment whenever the opportunity arises.
Need ideas? Here is our list of ways to be kind.
Take Care Of The Elderly.
Older adults are often overlooked and underestimated. They have a lot of wisdom and life experience to offer but are often not given the opportunity to share it. Be that person who befriends an elderly person and takes the time to listen to their stories.
Be Patient With People.
We all have bad days, so cut others some slack. Instead of getting angry, try to be understanding and patient.
Attribute bad things to situations instead of people. For example, instead of getting mad at the person who cut you off in traffic, attribute it to the fact that they might be in a hurry and do not intend to be rude.
Let Someone Go Ahead Of You.
This one is simple but effective. If you’re not in a hurry, let others go ahead of you. The time saved could mean little to you but a lot to someone who is running late.
Stand Up For Others.
If you see someone being treated unfairly, stand up for them. Showing courage and compassion can make a big difference in someone’s life by letting them know they are not alone.
Gossiping about others is hurtful and can damage relationships. If you have nothing nice to say about someone, don’t say anything at all. Find a way to change the subject or move on to a more uplifting topic.
No one likes to feel left out.
Inclusivity is about accepting and respecting people for who they are. It’s about creating an environment where everyone feels welcome, valued, and respected. Make an effort to include others and make them feel like they belong.
Be Kind To Yourself.
To be effective in our efforts to be a kind person to others, we must take care of ourselves first.
Practice self-care and do things that make you happy. Show yourself compassion and understanding, just as you would extend to others.
These are just some ideas, but ultimately, the best way to choose kindness is to be yourself and do what feels right to you. As long as your intentions are good, you can do no wrong.
22 Choose Kindness Quotes to Inspire You
For further inspiration, read through these quotes about kindness:
1. “Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” – Mark Twain
2. “You can accomplish by kindness what you cannot by force.” – Publilius Syrus
3. “Kindness is like snow – it beautifies everything it covers.” – Kahlil Gibran
4. “When you are kind to others, it not only changes you, it changes the world.” – Harold Kushner
5. “To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.” – Dr. Seuss
6. “Kindness is the sunshine in which virtue grows.” – Robert Green Ingersoll
7. “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” – Aesop
8. “Remember, there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” – Scott Adams
9. “A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees.” – Amelia Earhart
10. “Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.” – Princess Diana
11. “Kindness is always fashionable, and always welcome.” – Amelia Barr
12. “Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
13. “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” – Dalai Lama
14. “A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.” – William Arthur Ward
15. “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” – Lao Tzu
16. “True beauty is born through our actions and aspirations and in the kindness we offer to others.” – Alek Wek
17. “Kindness can become its own motive. We are made kind by being kind.” – Eric Hoffer
18. “Kindness is a passport that opens doors and fashions friends. It softens hearts and molds relationships that can last lifetimes.” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
19. “Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.” – Albert Schweitzer
20. “Choose to be kind over being right and you’ll be right every time.” – Richard Carlson
21. “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato
22. “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.” – Roy T. Bennett
Choosing kindness is always a good choice. It can make a difference in the lives of others and is vital for your present and future happiness.
Choosing to be kind doesn’t require grand gestures. The little things you do add up to make a big impact.
So, always choose kindness.
Be the reason someone smiles today.
Be the reason someone believes in the goodness of people.
Do Happy: Daily Happier Habits App
If you’re looking for a simple way to always choose kindness, download the Do Happy: Daily Happier Habits App!
The Do Happy App is a happiness app built on a foundation of kindness.
The app features a daily Do Happy task that helps you be kinder and more compassionate to yourself and others. These tasks fall into three categories: self-care, relationship maintenance, and acts of kindness. The app also includes a list of bonus acts of kindness tasks you are encouraged to do at any time.
Other features include a happiness journal where you can write about what you are grateful for and record your acts of kindness. You can also track your progress and share your acts of kindness on social media. Moreover, the app’s beautiful design makes it enjoyable to review your happy memories and all the good things you have done.
The Do Happy App is perfect for anyone who wants to be happier by being kind. Download it today to get started with a free 7-day trial!